Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Race Report: Edmonton Triathlon

This was the first Olympic distance triathlon of the season. A wet and rainy day made me a little worried. Haven't liked racing in the wet and cold in the past but it was humid. Swam in the pond at Hawrelak Park which not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Need to sight more often, too much zig zagging. Had a swim time of 22:02 for a pace of 1:29. Long run to transition. I had set up socks and gloves and a vest in transition just in case. I told Travis and Pat this before hand they basically told me to man up. Didn't put on any of them and it wasn't any where as bad as I thought it would be. Bike had 8 hills and was loads of fun. I think there were spots I could have gone faster though. Got a 1:09 with a 34kph average. The S-bend corner at the turn around was lots of fun. There was a volunteer at the corner telling people to slow down but I would pedal harder. It was right after a 180 degree turn around. I would come out wide of 180 and stand up pedal and take the S-bend straight, no braking. I passed a flew people at the corner. Legs felt good, a little heavy but it went away. This was an out and back so I was able to see the leaders on the other way in. I hammered and found myself with "Dreads Guy." I passed and he stayed right on my heels until about a kilometer left when he kicked. I tried to catch him and for about 20 seconds I was right there. Couldn't hold on to him and let off a bit. He had awesome finish. Nearly lost another spot when this guy surged near the finishing straight but he made the mistake of turning too early into the turn-around lane. I had to hammer because he came back around fierce. Finished with a 40:09 10k with a 4:01 average. I knew I could do close to 40:00 min 10k but I'm still really surprised. Total time, 2:11:08. Tremendous ego booster! Second in my age group. Triathlon Canada offered up 2 spots per age group for the 2012 World Championships so I'm going to register before the week is out and see what they say. This time would have put me top ten in my age group at Nationals in Kelowna at the Apple. I'm pumped and I'm going to start another Build phase and attempt to break 2:11 in Kelowna. Boosh.

1 comment:

  1. Shorter Transitions at the Apple. You should be gunning for Sub-2:10

    ReplyDelete